Monday, June 16, 2014

A Recap of Lisa Wagner's Program on Creating a Native Woodland Garden contributed by Lois Selfon

Those fortunate enough to attend Clemson’s Lisa Wagner’s presentation at the Franklin library on Native Woodland Gardens were treated to a sparkling and enlightening presentation.  Woodland gardens are not new to our SAPS group but we had the pleasure of seeing some familiar plants and trees, and some that were new to me.  The real fun was in her story telling and pictures of how she and husband Tim Spira intentionally converted wide open space into a natural wonderland setting.   It was inspiring what a couple could create.  And, I loved Tim’s stash of black plastic bags of recycled leaves.  Maybe we can snitch the city leaves which I understand are bagged and left at the street for pickup.  It made me so aware of how precious things are that might appear to be a nuisance.  I hope never to  miss an opportunity to hear Lisa present on any garden topic.  Also, it was so nice for me to be among my SAPS fellow members. 

LOIS SELFON
Piedmont front yard, 1993

Out the front door in the Piedmont, 2009
Be sure and visit Lisa's Blog as it contains a treasure trove of information on a variety of pertinent subjects to SAPS members as well as a link to a PDF version of her presentation.

What I enjoyed most about Lisa's presentation was her description of how the blood root patch has enlarged and multiplied due to the propagation by ants.  What a delight to see the evidence of your efforts take on such beauty!  I was inspired not to give up as it takes time for the magic to be visible.  Kathy Stilwell

No comments:

Post a Comment